Every single person deserves to live a life full of pleasure and joy. Regardless of your skin color, your sexual health and overall wellness should be celebrated and supported, always. It’s important to remember self care as we fight and that pleasure and joy are also forms of resistance. We are all worthy of support, compassion, empathy, and self-love. Educating yourself on how to take action is not only super sexy, but necessary. There is no shame in educating yourself on racial injustice and changing your mind when learning, even if it makes you uncomfortable. This uncomfortable feeling is how we grow.
I have been following, donating, and reading up on all the amazing black sex educators, programs, organizations, therapists, and sexologists out there. Another way we can show support is by purchasing products that are black-owned. I have made a list of some black-owned pleasure products that I will just keep growing. So, here are a few sexy brands to support now and always!
1. The Honey Pot Company (All natural femininare) This brand is actually everything. The founder, Bea Dixon, is truly an inspiration. Dixon has created a brand that is empowering and makes you feel warm inside. No chemicals, toxins, or any artificial fragrances in any products and it’s all plant-based made by boss ass women. How can it get better?! The brand offers organic tampons, pads, menstrual cups, maternity sanitary pads, feminine washes, panty sprays, wipes, and washes. I mean seriously, the products are incredible and I can’t wait to see the growth of this brand. Screw Tampax, I’m with The Honey Pot Company tampons!
2. Ardently (Toy heaven) A sexual wellness company that focuses on body-safe toys, (non-porous or harmful materials that carry toxins) and normalizing the conversation around pleasure. What a beauty! The brand was founded by Tatiyanna Shirley and is quickly becoming my new fav for toys. The brand offers a range of anal toys, cock rings, dildos (I need the Pink Pleasures 8 inches Silicone Dildo ASAP), harnesses, jock straps, vibrators, kink toys, prostate toys, and strokers. I definitely recommended checking out this unique and honest brand.
3. Feelmore Adult (The Sex Shop) Umm excuse me, a black-queer owned sex shop?! Say less. The shop originated in Oakland, California and has quickly become an online destination for toys and a sense of community. The founder, Nenna Joiner is probably my new fav person, just watch the IGTV videos and you’ll see why. Joiner has built a safe space for anyone to come feel welcomed and supported. It’s hard not to love what Joiner has created. The brand offers vibrators, dildos, kink toys, lube, anal toys, and more.
4. Nene’s FemHealth (Wellness Shop) This beautiful online shop is another great feminine care brand. The products are gorgeous and the brand specializes in Lotus Eggs... Lotus Eggs can be used for kegel exercises! If you are unfamiliar with Lotus Eggs or want to know more about them, this brand offers great info for beginners. The brand also offers washes, PH balances, sanitary pads, lube, gels, and many other hidden gems. Founded by the herbalist, Nerissa Nefeteri, t his brand is perfect if you’re into herbal supplements and all natural products!
5. Bedroom Kandi (Vibrator & Toy Jackpot) This lovely brand has won awards for the intimate toy line, (made of all body-safe materials) and offers some hot toys. Kandi Burruss, the founder, is a singer, songwriter, and actress. She has created a very open and strong brand. The brand offers a wide variety of vibrators, lubes, kink toys, and more. The toys are sexy and I have no doubt that you’ll be cumming in no time! If you need a new fun toy, this brand is definitely worth checking out.
6. Anya Lust (Luxury Lingerie) Ughhhh, I found this brand a while ago and it’s still so dreamy. It’s based in NYC (my city!) and will definitely make you feel sexy and confident. Filled with lacy bras, sheer undies, gorgeous trims, and beautiful materials, this brand is hot hot hot. The boutique offers lingerie, robes, nightwear, candles, and wellness products. Founded by Krystle Kotara, I highly encourage you to treat yourself... or impulsively buy something! We all know you want to!
These are just a few of the black-owned pleasure brands out there...there are tons of brands to support and I look forward to sharing more with you guys. Everyone should feel encouraged and supported when it comes to their bodies and wellness. So, take a moment to check out these brands and reward yourself with a special goodie!
Now is the time to put your money where your mouth is and support black-owned brands, artists, educators, photographers, designers, and creatives. As an educator, I am always looking for new voices to follow and learn from and I hope you all are doing the same. Happy exploring.
- Camryn Pessin